29-bit network
  • Hi,

if your car uses the 29-bit version of the CAN protocol you have to download the 29-bit version of the software: https://github.com/CANBus-Triple/CANBus-Triple/tree/29-bit-dev
    Then uncomment <tt>//#define SUPPORTS_29BIT</tt> in CANBus.h, line 158.

If you compiled the firmware before, hold the 'Shift' Key and click compile to recompile the libraries.

Thanks to Derek for his help with this.

Reto

• What version of the IDE do I need to use? I can't get the 29-bit version to compile at all. There are lots of errors.

==============================================================================
    Arduino: 1.6.1 (Windows 8.1), Board: "CANBus Triple"
    In file included from CANBusTriple.ino:31:0:
    SerialCommand.h:109:5: error: 'IDENTIFIER_INT' does not name a type
    IDENTIFIER_INT btMessageIdFilters[][2];

I have no problems getting the branch master to compile. Is there anything else in the code I need to change before hitting compile using programmer (SHIFT + Compile)?

EDIT:
    Using IDE 1.6.0 and copying the libraries folder from github over to the libraries documents folder seemed to fixed this. Going out to try 29-bit IDs on the car!

Unfortunately, this immediately threw an SRS error on my dashboard and for some reason whenever I plug the device in, it seems to make the electronics go a little crazy. Why is the 29-bit version sending packets to the car as soon as it is plugged in?

• I've yet to get the 29bit to properly compile, working on that now... However I have seen the same issues your experiencing on a car before. This was on my 05 MB low speed bus when ever I connect to it. The CBT seems to freak it out. I have found that that particular bus is NOT terminated with 120ohm resistors like the high speed bus. I planned to investigate it further, but car is in the body shop for next couple weeks...

• The low speed bus that deals with the cabin buttons? I was wondering the same, but I tested the circuit and got 52 on the reading, I can only assume that means there is a resistor on both ends.

Yeah, to get the 29-bit version to compile, copy the libraries folder out of the download and put it in the root of the documents Arduino folder - won't have any problems compiling then.

For 83kbps support, I copied the hard coded values from the master branch;

// Hard coded configs
    switch(bitRate){
        case 83:
            config1 = 0x03;
            config2 = 0xBE;
            config3 = 0x07;
        break;
    }

And place them above the 'digitalWrite' functions in CANBus.cpp (Line ~205). Do this before copying the libraries folder.

I hope this helps. It turns out I didn't need the 29-bit functions, now I am just having all sorts of trouble trying to write text on my speedometer (under the Audio page). Deciphering what the original stereo sends isn't working as well as I thought it would.

Views