BLE112 entering DFU mode
  • Hello,

I just recently decided to assemble my own CANBus Triple by having the PCB manufactured and then soldering on all the required components myself. I was able to flash the CBT boodloader onto the ATmega32U4, and also flash the CANBus Triple Arduino script, so all is working fine on that side. However, I am having trouble flashing the BLE112 firmware. I do not have a CC Debugger tool so I am trying to flash the bluetooth firmware via the USB passthrough method. I have installed the Bluegiga SDK software also.

The problem is that I am unable to get the BLE112 to enter DFU mode it seems. The bluetooth device does not appear when attempting to scan for it on my Android phone; I'm guessing this is expected since it doesn't even have any firmware on it yet? I'm able to put the CANBus Triple into USB passthrough mode by issuing a "0x08 0x02" command (LED indicators confirm this suceeded), but after that when I connect to it via the Bluegiga SDK, it doesn't respond to any command being sent to it from the SDK. No matter what I just get nothing back from the BLE112.

It mentions in the CBT docs for bluetooth firmware that there should be a blue "DFU" button in the CBT app, under the hardware tab, but I don't see this anywhere. The other method of using the "LightBlue" app isn't of any help to me since I have an Android phone and this app doesn't appear to be on the Google Play store.

What are the next steps that I could take here? I'm fairly certain that I didn't physically damage the BLE112 when I soldered it on, so how can I enter DFU mode on the BLE112 without a CC Debugger?

• If the blue LED appears for a second when you boot the device, it is functioning OK. If not, you might have to program it with a CC debugger the first time, then use USB after that. If you plan on frequently changing / developing the BLE firmware, I suggest buying a debugger. One time, I accidentally flashed some firmware that did not let me enter DFU mode. Also, you should consult the Bluegiga development forms.

• When the board is first powered on via USB, the blue LED does flash right away and it stays on for a very short time before going out again. If this means that the BLE112 is fine, shouldn't it also be broadcasting and discoverable from a Bluetooth scan?

Views