I installed Arduino IDE and followed the setup instructions and all seemed to be fine. When I first plugged my CBT in, Windows 10 recognised it as an Arduino Leonardo but since that first time, Device Manager shows it as Arduino Leonardo Bootloader and then after a few seconds it just disappears. I tried it again from scratch on Windows 8 with a clean install of Arduino and a new clone from github but just get the same brief Arduino Leonardo Bootloader device and then nothing. Any ideas? Thanks, Matt
So you get the adruino bootloader com port and then after 8 seconds it goes away and no other com port appears in windows 10?
Maybe the eeprom got corrupted. I'd suggest removing the board from the case so you can press the reset button. Plugin the CBT via usb and then press reset button and quickly hit upload in arduino.
I originally tried it on Windows 10 but have since been using Windows 8.1. When I plug in the USB lead, the blue LED flashes briefly and the green LED comes on continuously (but dim). In Device Manager, 'Arduino Leonardo bootloader (COM3)' comes up under Ports (COM & LPT) but that disappears after 7 or 8 seconds and nothing else comes up.
I'll try doing an upload after hitting the reset button and see how I get on.
OK - big step forward, thanks Derek. I had previously tried to upload from Arduino whilst the bootloader device was connected but presumably wasn't quick enough. This time I started the upload process just before I pressed the reset button and it seems to have worked.
I now have a solid 'Arduino Leonardo (COM4)' in Device Manager and the red LED does its pulsing and three flashes when I plug it in. Do I need to I worry that it shows as a Leonardo in device manager? Will I need to flash the firmware from github or should it already be up to date?
It connects to CoolTerm on COM4 and I tried sending 0x0101 at 57600 baud but got nothing back - I thought I'd have seen something even if it's not connected to the OBD2 port - is that correct?
I worked on the basis that I would need to flash the firmware as there are two versions (and there would presumably be no problem re-flashing). I got an error message as below:
avrdude -Cavrdude.conf -v -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -PCOM4 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:CANBusTriple.cpp.hex:i
avrdude: Version 5.10, compiled on Jan 19 2010 at 10:45:23
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch
System wide configuration file is "avrdude.conf" Using Port : COM4 Using Programmer : avr109 avr910_devcode (avrdude.conf) : none Overriding Baud Rate : 57600 AVR Part : ATmega32U4 Chip Erase delay : 9000 us PAGEL : PD7 BS2 : PA0 RESET disposition : dedicated RETRY pulse : SCK serial program mode : yes parallel program mode : yes Timeout : 200 StabDelay : 100 CmdexeDelay : 25 SyncLoops : 32 ByteDelay : 0 PollIndex : 3 PollValue : 0x53 Memory Detail : Block Poll Page Polled Memory Type Mode Delay Size Indx Paged Size Size #Pages MinW MaxW ReadBack ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- --------- eeprom 65 10 8 0 no 1024 8 0 9000 9000 0x00 0x00 flash 65 6 128 0 yes 32768 128 256 4500 4500 0x00 0x00 lfuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 9000 9000 0x00 0x00 hfuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 9000 9000 0x00 0x00 efuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 9000 9000 0x00 0x00 lock 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 9000 9000 0x00 0x00 calibration 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 0 0 0x00 0x00 signature 0 0 0 0 no 3 0 0 0 0 0x00 0x00 Programmer Type : avr910 Description : Atmel AppNote AVR109 Boot Loader
Connecting to programmer: .
Found programmer: Id = "O ("; type = ]
Software Version = D. ; Hardware Version = .´
avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't
a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?
The bootloader implements a subset of AVR109. The CBT bootloader will actually identify itself as such:
<blockquote>Found programmer: Id = "CANBusT"; type = S</blockquote>
Are you flashing from the command line? Maybe is an avrdude.conf issue. It definitely works with the avrdude binaries in Arduino 1.6.0.
Hi Derek - thanks for your help. After much messing around with different cables, ports and FIFO settings, I decided to just try re-uploading from Arduino after I'd upgraded to v1.6.1 and all now seems to be fine. I'm not entirely sure what changed but it is now working and that's all that matters. Cheers, Matt
FYI -- I had something similar happen to me today immediately after uploading an updated sketch. I followed the instructions in this thread, pressed reset on the CBT, saw the port show up (OS X here) and quickly uploaded.
Back in business, but I was sweating it there for a few.
I'm throwing away the Mini USB cable that came with my CBT. I suspect that's what caused the bad write.