Which monitor or sniffer software would work with CBT
  • Pippy, couple things I noticed testing last night that are possibly causing your problems.
    If you were using the JSON format data output, need to change that back in CBT to default of HEX only.

You will still need to verify CBT setup correctly with coolterm. Verify the baud rate is correct, and tell it to start dumping packets. However now you can't run coolterm if the Node script is running. So make certain CBT is sending HEX data with coolterm, then close it and start Node and Wireshark.

Last, I experienced issues with wireshark disconnecting after only a few packets were captured. In post above I said <i>Uncheck all the interface buttons at top, except for the one with \?\pipe\cbtbus1</i> .... Well for some reason I had to enable the others again to resolve this issue.... To avoid seeing my WiFi network TCP/UDP packets, I just selected my only protocol to monitor as CAN. Works fine now. Not sure where the bug is on that one.

• administrators

The cbt-wireshark module should automatically send the logging commands to the CBT when it starts, but you will need to assure the bit rate is correct before you start.

I should also add I've got this module running in the Desktop app that uses node behind the scenes, so when I get the alpha out this will just work without any command line madness. Much much easier for you guys to use. :)

• Thanks for that info on the auto start for logging. Only downside I've seen to Node is, at least on windows, it locks the COMM port so no other software can share it while the pipe is active.

• Derek, think I may have discovered a possible issue with the Nodejs script and Wireshark on Windows. Experiencing a lag issue with packets coming from nodejs. Was doing some wireshark filtering by ID and noticed that button changes I had previously tracked using USBPcap weren't showing up. Turned the key off, and saw new packets kept coming in for over a minute. Sure enough so didn't the hex code bits matching the button input I changes I'd made over a minute earlier...

Anyone else experience this? Looks like Nodejs is buffering the data, and not related to wireshark best I can tell.

• I'm having some trouble capturing the data via WireShark. I followed the instructions as noted (except using /dev/cu.usbmodem1411 instead of 1421), and wireshark seems to connect (node does say "Client connected to /tmp/cbtbus1"). But it doesn't capture any packets.

If I connect with coolterm, I definitely get CAN packets. I do have JSON disabled. Not sure what to check at this point

• administrators

@KidTurbo it does process the data but the script will send it right back out. My windows test machine is 6 years old, pretty slow, I'll try it again.

• Wireshark works great with the new alpha app. Not sure what I was doing wrong before, but guess that doesn't matter now

• Thanks Derek. Been away for a few, so will test the alpha-release software and compare the speeds. I'm running on a 5yr old XP Toughbook, so it should be comparable to your PC.

Views