OK got some time to test this some more. 0.3.2 is far more reliable with logging packets in the app. No longer any funny business with CoolTerm required to kickstart it. However pipes are not working. I go to the tab hit start. Fire up WireShark. Command+K hit manage interface add /tmp/cbtbus1 and start the capture and its just flooded with blank packets. Similar to what the app was doing before I updated.
Also currently I am only reading on bus 1. I soldered my high, low, ground, and 12v lines into my HVAC PCB. However I could obviously cut that cable for high and low and run 2 buses for the MITM if that would work. That is a pretty ideal spot in my car as there is loads of space behind that module.
Alright I made some progress tonight and was able to map a lot of ID's from my vehicle(2005 Chrysler 300, 83.3Kbps bus). A lot of the items seem to have a "default state" that is constantly being transmitted. Like traction control. If I press traction control off on my dash I see 0003 0420800050530000 7. If I have traction control on(standard setting, no dash light) and send the prior command to turn it off I get the dash light for about a second then it goes off again and 0003 0020800050530000 7 is transmitting. Similar thing for windows, sun roof, etc. So it sounds like to get access to to some of the things that I want MITM is the only choice. This is the wiring of the "B" bus on my car. Can I tap in anywhere here? Or should I tap at say the FCM? Oh and I attached a picture of my newly controlled dash! https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngiq6ta092xp1sr/IMG_0934.jpeg?dl=0
Just to add I am having some issues with the Mac app. If I start up fresh, then plug in USB for the CBT. Boot up the app. Press logger and connect via USB. I then plugin my ribbon cable and no logging. If I then unplug the ribbon and USB and open CoolTerm plugin USB, connect. Run 030101 then plugin ribbon. I get flooded with data. I disconnect from CoolTerm and switch to CBT App then tell it to connect via USB again. At that point I will see data in the CBT app just fine. If I turn on the wireshark piping logging stops. Also there doesn't appear to be any sort of log dump from the CBT app, I assume because we would choose to do that with Wireshark. So I am kind of stuck at this point with the app. I will have to see about tracking down a windows laptop to see if I get different results there.