Problems With Base Firmware
  • I am working on a project using a VW Golf Mk V, getting the CAN Bus data directly from the OBD-2 port as the VW is wired that way. I loaded up the base firmware sketch as instructed by the new "Main Firmware" page in the docs. Loading the code went well after some messing around with libraries and adding the pin assignments, but then I ran quickly into issues. When running the sketch, the CBT powers up, flashes the LEDs for about ten seconds or so and then everything goes dark. This seems okay, given that there is some sort of sleep mode referenced in the docs. The big problem is that when the CBT goes into this sleep mode, it can't be programmed and does not seem to receive or process any of the CAN Bus traffic. If anyone has any ideas on how to get the base firmware up and running, returning <i>anything</i> , that would be great.

• administrators

The red boot LED should flash a few times on startup and the green power led should stay illuminated until it goes to sleep.

Did you enable the Sleep middleware? (It's called Naptime)

• Thanks Derek (I work with Lochie).

Taking out the naptime middleware prevented the sleep/coma symptoms we were seeing.

Of course our bigger problem is that naptime was letting the CBT sleep because no data is being received on the CAN ports. With that and our inability to get the SerialCommand code to respond over USB serial we're obviously doing something wrong.

• administrators

The MCU will listen for an interrupt from the CAN controllers and wake up when it is sleeping.

Are you sure you're sending bytes and not ascii over serial?

• I'll re-check how the data is being sent over serial in terms of getting the SerialCommand side of things working - thanks for the suggestion.

Once we can get that going it'll give us more confidence that we're correctly enabling logging on the CAN controllers - which I assume will dump the CAN packets to the serial connection so we can figure out whether we've wired the CBT up correctly to the busses.

• I'm on the same boat as you, I'll get more chances to program next week, since I will be in Austin, bored out of my mind after work.

Views