Pin Ordering on CBT Connector
  • Can someone please clarify the ordering for the Pin numbers on the CBT's 12 pin external connector?

The docs show that the top right pin is #1, but it is not clear whether #2 is on the top row immediately to the left, or on the right bottom?

That is, are the pins numbered:

<pre><code>6 5 4 3 2 1
    12 11 10 9 8 7</code></pre>

or are they numbered:

<pre><code>11 9 7 5 3 1
    12 10 8 6 4 2</code></pre>

I've had trouble getting the CBT to return any data at all, so I'm thinking maybe I've got the pins wired up wrong.

• @jamesatfish‌ Check out the image I just posted on the <a href="https://plus.google.com/u/1/communities/107905972780081034776"><u><i><b><i><i><b><i>Google+ page</i></b></i></i></b></i></u></a>, hope that answers your questions.

• Thanks!

Good news is we got the pins right - now to figure out why we don't seem to get any data off the CBT when word up to the CANBusses.

• administrators

Hey @jamesatfish See here for enabling the packets dump. It will not do it by default you have to send a dump command.
    http://forum.canb.us/discussion/43/serial-commands#latest

• Hey @jamesatfish check the <a href="https://plus.google.com/u/1/communities/107905972780081034776"><b><i><u>Goggle+ page</u></i></b></a> again, I posted the corrected pinout colors

• Thanks all - got it all sorted and am currently sifting through CAN data.

It was a combination of not sending HEX commands (rather than ASCII) over the USB Serial, relying on service manual docs rather than physically inspecting the layout of connector pins in the car, and needing to set the 500k baud rate for the bus.

• administrators

The baud rate setup in the code is a bit of a mess. I have a local branch I'm working on now that will detect baud rate and persist it through a restart by storing in eeprom.

• jamesatfish. How are you analyzing the CANbus data?

• @Xag‌ - we're capturing it in hex using CoolTerm, then doing pattern recognition through a few of our own scripts as well as using some online plagiarism checkers.

The same tools that you can use to compare essays and identify common segments of text work well for this type of analysis. Capture one session as a baseline, then another session performing the action you want to track. Use the tools to identify common segments and ignore those - the differences are where you can then look in more detail for specific codes.

• Thanks, I will give it a try.

• Jamesatfish, would you be willing to post your scripts or plagiarism tools? If you have something that works it would help the rest of us out.

Thanks!

• As input I am now using the json format for the logfile. I am using TextWrangler on the Mac to sort lines and filter out duplicate lines. Filtering duplicate lines can of course only be done by first deleting the timestamp column, I do that in Excel. Still a bit clumsy but it works.

• you can also filter duplicates in excel ;-) im logging also in json and fliter in excel

Views