Few questions on setup
  • Hi all,

Im just tinkering with the CBT and had a few issues in getting started.

First of all, out of the box does the CBT have the firmware already on ready to work?
    If so, what speed should i set CoolTerm too/how do i determine the baud rate that i need?

I have also tried to flash the firmware again with the arduino IDE but that having compile errors (I assume that is a problem my side rather than the CDT)

And in terms of the Desktop App, ive followed the installation guide and getting errors at the "node-pre-gyp rebuild --runtime=node-webkit --target=0.12.0-alpha3" stage (along with the /serialports folder not automatically being created in the previous step)

Any light into this would be awesome, im essentially trying to get a data dump (to begin with)

Thanks.

Phil

• Right, Quick update.

Managed to get the latest firmware onboard, and am able to see data now :)

However, when i enable logging mode "03010100000000" i just get empty square brackets "[]" and doesnt appear to log any data :/ Any ideas?

Thanks

• Pippy, when connected, check the status of Bus 1 with this command 011001
    What software do you use? CoolTerm?

• administrators

Where do you get brackets? As Henk said, what serial software are you using?

• Thanks for the replies.

Im using CoolTerm, the brackets are appearing in the coolterm display itself but I then noticed that the log has "ÿ" as opposed to the brackets. (If that makes sense)

The status reply with the command 011001 is: "status":"0"
    {"e":"busdgb", "name":"Bus 1", "canctrl":"4", "status":"0", "error":"0 - No Errors", "nextTxBuffer":"0"}

Any ideas?

Also, The Mazda edition of the firmware, what differences does that offer and what models does it cover? (Have access to a Mazda CX5 2014)

Thanks again

• So, what data did you see? Is the wiring OK? Are you using the OBD cable? Have you tried this command:
    01090101F4
    It will test the bitrate of your Canbus (high speed, low speed, different bitrates). If it finds the correct bitrate the setting will be applied and you should see data...

• The only data I can see is when I dumped the EEPROM using 0102 (suggested here: http://docs.canb.us/firmware/api.html)

I am using the supplied OBD cable

I tried doing:
    <i>"Auto Baud
    Also, if your CBT is connected to a CAN bus you can send a command to auto detect baud rate.
    Serial api command: 0x0108X (X being the bus, 01 - 03)

So to find the baud of bus 1 send 0x010801 and the CBT will send back JSON data as it tries each speed (speeds are hard coded at the moment) "</i>

as mentioned on the Serial Commands post but ive not tried the 01090101F4 you suggest. I will try it and get back to you :)

Is there a single place with all the commands, I seem to be finding bits and bobs in various places

• So I have tried the 01090101F4 command which has set the rate to 500 (according to the response) but I still get the same "[]" in coolterm and the "ÿ" in the log file when I try to start logging the data.

Ive tried connecting the OBD first, then the USB, both with the car on and car off but its making no difference.
    Im running the latest version that was at the time of this thread being made.

I will try on another vehicle tomorrow maybe and see if i can get anything different, any ideas? All I want to begin with is a data dump of the vehicle running.

• So it has recognized your high speed CAN bus. Did you start the engine when you were logging data?

• Yes do try a different vehicle first. Could be issue with the DLC16 plug wiring. Also I have noted that some multi-canbus vehicles use a gateway controller on the OBDII port. In my 05 Mercedes that DLC connection doesn't broadcast any data for long periods of time after the key is on. Sometimes even after driving a couple miles. This is because under OBDII specifications, you have to "request" the PID data form the ECM's. While connected on a different bus in same car there is plenty of engine, tans, and other nodes data being transmitted.

• My 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid also has a CAN gateway and I also get the square brackets "[]" when connected to the DLC with the ODB2 plug. There is a 12p connector close to the DLC that has all 3 F-CANs on it and I get plenty of data there.

• Thanks for the replies :) and sorry for the delay.

Hondude - interesting that there is another connector nearby, ill have to have a look.

I tried it on a Mazda CX5 and have managed to get loads of data :D Coolterm works a treat (although i forgot to log it in hex so its almost pointless) but the Wireshark Pipe also worked great in Windows(I did have to select an ethernet interface aswell otherwise Wireshark kept crashing - I was connected via wifi so the ethernet interface didnt actually record any data).

I got a handful of dumps, both baselines and whilst flashing the lights every second (to try and identify the data as an example)

• I'm having similar issues with receiving data. I used 01090101F4 to automatically change the baud to 500 to match the car's CAN but I am still not seeing any feedback from the car. After using 01090101F4 to set the baud to 500 I'm supposed to use 03010100000000 to turn on monitoring on CAN1 with no filter, correct? Or how else do I turn on the CAN monitoring? Everytime I put in that hex number in I get the ÿ that others have seen. ....And now the battery on my car is dead....DOH!

Views