I had the same problem with the Arduino IDE 1.6.5. Here's what I did to get the CANBusTriple example to compile and upload on Windows 7:
- Clone the repo in a folder like Downloads
- Go to Downloads\CANBus-Triple\avr
- Copy the example folder examples\CANBusTriple to your Arduino sketch folder (in my case Documents/Arduino)
- Copy the libraries\CanBus and libraries\QueueArray folders to your Arduino libraries folder (in my case Documents/Arduino/libraries)
- Copy the variants\canbustriple folder to your Arduino variants folder (for me C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants)
- Open boards.txt in a text editor and open C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\boards.txt in a text editor using Open as System Administrator. Copy the text in the CANBus-Triple boards.txt into the top of the Arduino boards.txt file, save and exit.
- Open the Arduino IDE 1.6.5 and then open the CANBusTriple sketch you saved in the Arduino sketch folder.
- Click on Tools->Boards and pick "CANBus Triple", also pick the port.
- Ctrl-R should successfully compile, and Ctrl-U should upload.
I believe the problem is in the platform.txt file in the repo.
Some of this info can be found on the Arduino playground under "Customizing the Arduino IDE".